Friday, September 23, 2011

Things I would like to see/have in Perth....

But probably won't unless I pay for shipping or make it myself

1. Good Sushi
I should first point out there are quite a few "sushi" places here. My latest sojourn to find sushi last week went like this. I walked up to a typical sushi place, most of which have some of the rolls already prepared for easy grab and go access.
Me: "Do you have any Tuna rolls?"
Clerk: Points to section marked cooked tuna
Me: "Do you have any raw tuna rolls?"
Clerk: Gives me weird look "Uh no, we do not do that here"
Me: "So what kind of cooked tuna is that? Is it Albacore, Ahi...?"
Clerk: "No its tuna from the can"
Me: Steps back unto the foot of the person behind me "So sorry Ma'am" "You mean canned like what you buy at the grocery store?"
Clerk: "Yes"
Me: Horror in my voice "Oh I see, so is the salmon in the salmon rolls raw salmon?"
Clerk: "No its smoked salmom"
Me: "Ah smoked salmon" sigh "Do you have anything else?"
Clerk: "Well we have lots of different chicken rolls, bento boxes, noodles"
Me: sigh "Well I will have the smoke salmon roll and the prawns, and some soy sauce"
Clerk: "Its 20c per pack for the soy sauce"
Me: "Arrrk 20c each? That's ok thanks will get a bottle next door"

2. Turkey Bacon
Turkey anything is a rare commodity in Australia - the Aussies are just not turkey people I have been told they are more chicken people. Unfortunately chicken does not make good bacon, turkey does and I cannot find turkey bacon or turkey pepperoni anywhere in Australia. I suspect there might be possibly 1 speciality food provider that does make it but it will be a hassle to find them and then have to pay for shipping when all I want is a couple of slices.

3. Turkey Pepperoni
See 2 above - how is a non-four legged eating animal girl supposed have pepperoni pizza when there is no two legged pepperoni to be found throughout the land. It is a crying shame I tell you.

4. Stay tuned.........

1 comment:

  1. Go to Takas, they have 2 restaurants in the city and one in Freo... best value for money/quality sushi around :)
    http://www.takaskitchen.iinet.net.au/

    ReplyDelete