Monday, September 5, 2011

Gluten Free Down Under


One of the things I have come to appreciate and love about living in Australia is their approach to food allergies in particular Gluten/Wheat allergies.

It is so nice to walk into a coffee shop and be able to order a pastry with coffee and have the option of at least 2 gluten free options to choose from – not all coffee shops have that option but the bigger ones in more populated areas do. You are not going to get a GF croissant or any really popular pastry and it will probably cost you a $1 more than the other pastry but you will have a choice and sometimes that’s all that matters.

I also had a burger the other day – in a restaurant – like a normal person; well as normal as a person who does not eat four legged animals is. The choices were Fish and Chicken. Kangaroo was also on the menu but the verdict is still out on whether or not a kangaroo is a four legged or 2 legged animal plus it looks like it would smell and taste gamey so maybe if offered for free I would contemplate sampling it but not at $15 of my own money when I am starving.

I saw the other day from the pile of junk mail in my mail box that the Dominos and the other local pizza place in my neighborhood also provide gluten free crust pizzas and they deliver – something to keep in mind for one of those I do not feel like cooking nights. Pizza delivery is one of those things I gave up on a long time ago – it just was not worth the time I would spend doubled over in pain and in the bathroom the next day.

You also do not have to go to a specialty grocery store to get things like GF bread, cereal, pasta etc they are found in your regular grocery store Woolworths and Coles have great selections of GF items. When I was living in San Francisco I used to have to go to Whole Foods for my Gluten Free items (Udi’s and Kinnikinnick bread from Canada/USA were really the best so I hardly eat bread here now but at least it’s there) and then to Safeway for some things and then to Trader Joes for a few other things and oh to the farmers market for the fresh fruit and vegs. I am living proof that the paradox of choice is completely true – I have to admit that having ONE grocery store in my immediate neighborhood, coupled with a lack of other shopping choices has greatly simplified my weekends. I might complain about the Woolworth prices and the fact that I can spend $100 in groceries and still have absolutely nothing in the house to eat but what are you going to do – there is nowhere else to go.

There is however a huge gap just waiting to be filled in the Gluten Free English Muffin niche, as they do not currently exist - do you hear that Food for Life? I invite you to come on down and bring your delicious Gluten free English Muffins; I have rather fond breakfast memories of them crispy toasted for breakfast and topped with an egg white, cheese and sliced turkey (my version of the fast food breakfast muffin). I also used them to make Turkey burgers, garlic “bread”, toasted and cut into little pieces for fondue etc

No comments:

Post a Comment