Friday, July 8, 2011

Sports - First Impressions

It did not take me long to figure out that Australians really really love their sports. I have not been here long enough to really figure out all the sports and teams but so far here is my take on sports.

Football aka Footy
Football in Australia is nothing like football in the US, the post thingys at the end of the field are higher and there seems to be an extra pole the purpose of which I have yet to figure out but so far it looks like the ball only goes between the two. The ball is not as long and is more rounded on each end and can be different colors. I have yet to figure out the rules of the game but how hard can it be? You have two teams, a ball, a field and two scoring ends J But best of all the players wear no big heavy padded uniforms, helmets or associated paraphernalia and in fact wear the most adorable tiny uniforms – which has made Australian Footy a sport I can definitely embrace

Cricket
Ahh I have not seen a cricket match since I left the Caribbean but I have to admire the grace and mastery of a cricketer, so unlike those baseball players HeH J I did watch a bit of a game at what has now become my local watering hole now that I am in temporary housing “The Melbourne CafĂ© and Bar” with its multiple huge flat screen TV’s, the channel playing the game did this replay with infrared or xray so you could see the skeleton of the player in motion - it was really cool.

Netball
Here Netball is a sport on TV, for those of you who have no idea what netball is think basketball played by girls with lots of rules like no going outside the circle, no dunking, bouncing the ball, moving with the ball etc or read up on it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netball. Watching Netball on TV brought back such great memories – I once had the potential to be a great netballer if not for the tendency to duck, cover my head and scream whenever the ball was thrown to me.

There is also Rugby and I am certain many yet to be discovered sports………I will keep you posted

No comments:

Post a Comment