Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Great Church Search - Riverview Church


So I finally got myself out of bed at 9 on Sunday morning after planning out my trip to check out a church the night before. On paper it seemed fairly simple; get up, get ready, get the bus, get there, attend the service, get the bus back and get a nap.
I decided the search would starch with Riverview church in Burswood – it looked fairly close on the map and the bus to get there was only 2 blocks away from where I am currently staying; a major win I thought at the time. Unfortunately, getting public transportation on Sundays is trickier than normal so after no bus I decided to take a cab, but alas it being Sunday no cabs were in the usual taxi stop on Hay and Milligan so I started walking and walked some more about 5 blocks till I found them lined up down by the mall and was able to get one.
Fifteen dollars later I was there and was welcomed with a handshake by a greeter outside the building who provided me with directions were the sanctuary was. Outside the sanctuary/auditorium was a large area with chairs, tables and small couches were some people were sitting, some with children. There were two large doors on either side with ushers – the one on the right directed those of us coming in to the left as the right section was full. Inside another army of ushers directed people to seats in a HUGE auditorium with black drapes all around to ensure no sunlight got in and the myriad of lighting and sound equipment overhead. I have honestly seen smaller theaters. Unfortunately the seating space was not well utilized as I could spot many empty seat chunks up and down the rows. Also the ushers just let people walk up and down and in and out all during the service even if they were seated up front.
The Service
The service kicked off at 11:15am with praise and worship which went on for about 35mins and was totally more or less Hillsong. Then they picked up the offering, had a guy talk about his trip to Africa and why the giving was important and then did the church announcements. This section coming when it does completely pulls you out of the worship frame of mind you were in previously. Then the guest speaker finally took the stage at 12:05 and went on till around 12:50. There were no handouts and while he did have a good speech sharing mostly about his testimony and his work with the indigenous people there was no real scripture reading/reference - he did put one verse up on the overhead at one point. At this point my bladder was screaming, I had the one bus per hour to figure out to catch at 1:08 so I decided it was time to go. When I left to go to the bathroom at 12:50 he was praying and doing somewhat of a raise your hand for prayer altar call.
Children
Ahhh Children they are adorable aren’t they, so tiny cute, cuddly, the joy of their parents life, you give your life to have them, you give your life for them etc. Well this church lets you keep them regardless of the age with you in the sanctuary. So guess what happened? I had the mewling newbie behind me and the restless popping up and down, won’t keep still or shut up 2-3 year old in front of me and the woman with what looked like the 6mth old pacing back and forth in the aisle to the side.  I have been spoiled by 6 years at Cornerstone where no one under 6 was allowed in the sanctuary and almost was reduced to screaming myself. If I go back I really have to scout out for a section that has no kids within a 5 row radius and be prepared to move if I see one coming hahahahahhaha.
Facilities
It is a rather large campus – the bathroom is nice and clean, they must clean it between services given the number of people using it. I counted 16 stalls in the regular ladies room. There was also a separate mother’s room where women could breast feed, change the baby etc which had additional stalls and sinks. There is also a large nursery for the babies, and rooms for kids of different ages so there is no real reason to keep the children with you during the service as there are facilities and volunteers there to provide child care during the service. They even flash your pager number on the screen in the sanctuary if you need to get up and tend to your child/baby so again no real reason to have the baby/child with you.
Getting Home
I might go back again but getting home was a real deal breaker. I asked for directions to the bus at the church info desk and was told “Oh it was just 5mins away” which I have discovered is what most people here think. I walked the requisite 5mins in the direction he said and no bus stop insight. I ran into some lovely ladies from different countries 2 of which were Americans from YWAM who were here in Perth training to become midwives and hoping to be sent into 3rd world countries to serve (amazing) they were headed from the church to the train station and had no idea where the bus station was and said they would show me where to catch the train. We had a lovely chat about our various journeys but it was a HALF AN HOUR walk, 30mins of walking to get to this train. I had to jump a concrete wall, walk up many flights of stairs, clamber over many green fields the whole time I am going in my head WTH!!! By time I made it to the train I had sweaty arm pits and a blister on each foot from shoes that were 2 years old and well broken in by San Francisco streets.  Oh Cornerstone how I miss thee!! Going to church should not involve going on a Walkabout – just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment