Saturday, November 19, 2011

Aussie Words and Phrases

 Here are some of the common words or phrases I hear on a regular basis. So far I have not adopted any although I have been doing a lot of whinging lately :-)

Word/Phrase
Usage/Definition
Tosser
Someone who is disliked. Urban dictionary says it’s also the same as a wanker
Budgie Smuggler
The Aussie name for speedo
Ute
A truck – a pick up or small single cab with long back
Ova
???
Arvo
Afternoon
Cheers
Use it however you like I cannot find a pattern
Ta
Thank You
See how you go
“Why don’t you do this impossible thing and see how you go”
Leave it with me
I will take care of it
Knackered
Tired, worn out
Whinge
Whine, complain
Brekkie
Breakfast
Biscuit
Cookie
Bogan
The term bogan is Australian slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for an individual who is recognized to be from a lower class background or someone whose limited education, speech, clothing, attitude and behavior exemplifies such a background
Tomato Sauce
Ketchup
How ya going?
How are you?
Rockup
Arrive, turn up “What time should I rock up to work?”
Stubby
Beer with really short top
Done and dusted
Finished
Hungry Jack
Burger King (Don’t ask)
Maccas
McDonalds




No comments:

Post a Comment